‘Blog’ is short for ‘weblog’. A blog is a type of website, but differ from the usual site style, by having these characteristics:
- An informal, personal, ongoing diary-type commentary by an individual: either about his/her life, or opinion/news about a specific topic.
- Most blog entries are plain-text mini-articles, though pictures, audio, and even video clips can be incorporated too.
- Latest blog entry appears near the top of the front page, with previous entries below it in date order.
- Blog entries are usually short; longer posts are sometimes split so the balance of the item is on a new page.
- Readers often have the opportunity to add their own comments about a blog entry, or even respond to other people’s feedback.
- Readers can opt to receive an alert by RSS every time a new entry is posted on the blog.
- Most blogs are created and updated through a web-based interface system such as Blogger. No technical knowledge is needed to start a blog, though technically-minded people can install software on their servers to create more sophisticated and customizable blogs.